Rhamnus frangula - Faulbaum

• Hallo zusammen,

im Rahmen der Epiphora-Zuchten habe ich im Juli/August in unserer Umgebung versucht Faulbaum zu finden, was mir dann auch gelungen ist. Bei einer Pflanze bin ich mit ziemlich sicher, dass es frangula ist, da die Früchte passen. Ich habe aber auch noch zwei weitere vermeindliche Rhamnus-Arten gefunden, die m.E. keine frangula sind.

Die beiden linken Bilder sollten frangula sein. Aber um welche Pflanze handelt es sich bei den beiden rechten Bildern?

Für sachdienliche Hinweise wäre ich sehr verbunden ^^

Danke schon einmal und Grüße

Eric

• https://www.exotic-insects.com
    AD
  • I agree with Rhamnus cathartica for the last two images. Notice how the berries are clustered together in bigger groups, closer to the stem.

I needed to feed R. cathartica to my Epiphora intermedia when I was away on vacation. They did not survive. I would suggest using it cautiously. Try it with any Epiphora as an experiment, but also keep some on R. frangula as a backup plan.

R. cathartica is very easy to grow from the berries. Easier than R. frangula. So if successful as a foodplant, it is easier to produce.

• I think if you want to rear Epiphora species, you should try to grow Ziziphus jujuba.

I just found pictures and a website about growing Z. jujuba in Czech Republic:

https://growingfruit.org/t/jujube-in-central-europe/12916

The trees on this website look great. Fruit set in the very northern places where it is capable of growing may be poor -- but you are not growing for the fruit anyway ? . My experience is that it is a fine tree for small spaces and can grow quite fast.

Regards,

Michael

• Meine Versuche Epiphora mit Kreuzdorn Rhamnus cathartica den es bei uns sehr häufig gibt zu füttern ist immer gescheitert. Insbesondere die E.bauhiniae und E. mythimnia sind wenn nur kurz darauf verendet.

Hingegen wurde Paliurus spina-christi (aus dem Mittelmeergebiet) gerne gefressen davon habe ich aber nur ein kleines Büschchen im Garten.

Intressant wäre noch R.alaternus /Stechpalmen-Kreuzdorn da dieser immergrün ist und an geschützen Lagen auch bei uns gedeihen würde.

Beste Grüsse,

André

• Here in Arizona, Agapema homogena larvae are found mainly on two plants -- Holodiscus (Rosaceae) and Rhamnus californica. We have some evergreen "holly-leaved" Rhamnus species here, too, such as Rhamnus crocea. However, there are no records of Agapema feeding on these evergreen species which sometimes even grow side-by-side with R. californica! And also our common native Ziziphus species is rejected by both Epiphora and Agapema. The chemistry of the Old World and New World species is apparently very different. And I have been told that a similar situation might exist for Rhamnus between Europe and North America.

So, on the subject of Rhamnus as a host plant, has anyone in Europe used your native Rhamnus or Frangula to feed Agapema homogena?

Also, are there species of native Ceanothus in Europe? Ceanothus should be tried with Epiphora, Agapema, Hyalophora, some Hemileuca, etc. They make fine garden plants and there are many "improved" cultivars and varieties of Ceanothus thrysiflorus. Some are evergreen, can tolerate much cold and are excellent host plants.

Regards,

M

• https://insektenlifestyle.com
    AD
  • Michael

this is very interesting . In europe there is no native Ceanothus species found but such for gardens like C.delilianus and Ceanothus thyrsiflorus.

But it depending where your live in north or south europa. In Germany or Switzerland Rhamnus frangula and R.cathartica is the only common naitiv plant of the Rhamnaceae famili.

R.alaternus from southeurope-northafrika looks similary to R.californica and maybe a good substitute host for Agapema spec.?!

Myself reared Agapema homogena on Frangula once and its working well but i will try with C.thyrsiflours for A.anona and hope they will accept it.

Regards André

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!