Prunus padus and Juglans nigra

• Hi guys,

in the region i live, there's the possibility to got some trees for free ( Italy, Emilia romagna), almost 100!

And, i think to got also some trees that can be useful to my studies about moths, in particular some non-invasive host plants, especially that ones that they feed in nature.

The first is Prunus padus ( the Bird cherry); i heard about that it can be very very useful to feed Smerinthus, instead of willows, it withers very slowly than willows!
    And, it's an Europea species.

The another one is Juglans nigra ( Black walnut), an American species. I think it's the species of walnut that Actias luna feed in nature, right?

Thank you,

Giacomo
    [Blocked Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/Illustration_Prunus_avium0.jpg/1200px-Illustration_Prunus_avium0.jpg:)

• https://www.exotic-insects.com
    AD
  • Hi Giacomo

The first is Prunus padus ( the Bird cherry); i heard about that it can be very very useful to feed Smerinthus, instead of willows, it withers very slowly than willows!
    And, it's an Europea species.

Yes, that´s true.
    But maybe Prunus mahaleb, which could be nativ in your area, will work also. But I had never test it in the past.
    Prunus padus is a really good foodplant for many caterpillars of different specis. These plant prefer places with more water in the ground.

The another one is Juglans nigra ( Black walnut), an American species. I think it's the species of walnut that Actias luna feed in nature, right?

That´s also true.
    But the leaves of Juglans nigra are softer than from Juglans regia. Maybe they will dry faster than the regia-leaves. And Juglans regia could be native in your area also ;)

So, maybe you will have all in your area what you will need for your work with these moth.

Regards
    Rudi

• But maybe Prunus mahaleb, which could be nativ in your area, will work also. But I had never test it in the past.
    Prunus padus is a really good foodplant for many caterpillars of different specis. These plant prefer places with more water in the ground.

Yes, Prunus padus requires more water than others Prunus, but it's fine, i can manege it, Prunus mahaleb is native in here, but as Prunus padus

Hi Giacomo

That´s also true.But the leaves of Juglans nigra are softer than from Juglans regia. Maybe they will dry faster than the regia-leaves. And Juglans regia could be native in your area also ;)

Yes i know that, Juglans nigra's leaves are softer, but if caterpillars will eat it faster than regia's, there's no problem, anyway i can put the caterpillars in the tree protected with a net!

Juglans regia is not native in here :-( .

Greetings,

Giacomo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!