Is it possible to breed Nymphalidae well in EU (tropical, palearktic)

• hi, is it possible to succesfully breed tropical Charaxes here in central Europe? If so, do you have any experience with certain species and tips where to get the ova, pupae. If its not a good idea, I will be greatfull for info on other nice Nymphalidae, which I might have easier access to and better results. Any tips for breeding and eventually possible contacts on vendors are highly appreciated. Thank You all very much, looking forward for new informations.

• ANZEIGE
  • Hi,

It is very possible to breed Charaxes and other tropical nymphalids were you live. I have heard Charaxes butterflies can be hard to take care so I recommend starting out with Morpho and Caligo if you are new to breeding butterflies. Without a permit, I haven’t had much luck with getting pupae yet, but here is a vendor that can help- https://www.stuartsbutterflies.co.uk/

Good Luck!

I really want to breed Charaxes too, but it isn’t easy finding a seller.

• Hi,

Right now I have some sphingidae and Vanessa Cardui. I would recommend using a standard reptile heat lamp. Butterflies love heat. Tropical butterflies need quite a bit of humidity. I recommend spritzing them with a water bottle once a day. To ensure the longest life span for them, since Charaxes are powerful fliers, at least a 2ft by 2ft cage. Bigger is always better. Do you have Charaxes Jasius were you live?

Best of luck!

• What is your idea about breeding ? If you think to buy pupae , then keep them until adults will emerge and keep them until dead - then it is possible. But it any "normal" cage it will be probably very short living as Charaxes are extremelly strong and nervous flyers. Nice size greenhouse can fit them.

If also pairing, laying eggs and raising larvae is focus, then I am sceptical.

As for only european species - Ch.jasius - overwinter as larvae and is not hibernating, foodplant is also problematic in central Europe, so .....

Try some less common Czech Nymphalidae , f.e. frittilaries and you will be surprised how challenging raising is.

As for livestock, one of biggest importer is Stratford Butterfly Pupae - https://www.tropicalbutterflypupae.com/

They have regularly several african Charaxes species. Ask for all permissions and papers as now, after Brexit, Czech customs will probably ask you for veterinary papers for importing live material from outside EU.

Good luck.

• No, that is not my idea at all.

When I said a 2ft by 2ft, that is usually the small standard for Lepidoptera. Personally, I keep Mine in 5.5 by 2.5 by 5.5 ft cage. I filled it with tropical plants. I plan to make it larger though. I didn’t say I recommend 2x2x2 but it is the minimum. Not everyone can afford a green house, but a large cage filled with plants to the closest thing. Most Lepidoptera are happy with food and breeding materials and light. Some Lepidoptera like heliconians and Charaxes are very wild and active. They need more room. You don’t need a green house to raise Lepidoptera. I have had butterflies live for months in a mesh cage.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!