Sightings in late November

• I have gone hiking and exploring this November in search of Lepidoptera. The first week was unseasonably warm. The average temperature here for November is around 45 degrees. Instead, it was 68 degrees F.

The first week sightings were as follows:

1. Compton Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis vaulbum)

2. Orange Sulphur x4 (Colias eurytheme)

The last 2 weeks have been very bad weather.

A few of my peers have spotted Pieris rapae, Polygonia comma, and Vanessa atalanta. Also other Colias spp.

Today, it was rather cool. I visited a local woodlands. No butterflies but plenty moths.

I saw many Winter moths, an invasive species from Europe. Plenty of males flew around the fallen leaves. This species can sometimes be active as late as January.

I found an extremely late Copper Underwing. This is the latest I have seen this species by 3 months. It was very cold and barely could move. I also found a Giant Leopard Moth caterpillar looking for a spot to hibernate.

I hope you find this somewhat interesting. Many butterflies and moths still fly even when the temperatures drop much below freezing. This is sort of survey for the species. Please share what sightings you have had.

Cheers,

Ethan

• Your partner for good dried lepidoptera at fair prices" alt="LEPIDOPEXCHANGE
    AD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!