Conserving pupae in the Fridge

• Hello Everyone,

I have some some species that recently made their pupae/cocoon (for example S. pyri, A. tau) and since these require cold winters and the area I am temperatures in winter almost never get lower than 4C I was thinking of putting them in the fridge in a mix of soil and sphangum and change it about 2 in 2 weeks to avoid formation of mold/fungi and keep them with a certain wetness to do not dehydrate.

With this I have two questions which probably you guys could help me:

1. Is this method ok? Or do you think I should do it in other way?

2. Should I put them on the fridge right away or wait for September/October when the temperatures get lower and simulate like in the natural environment?

Thank you in advance

Cheers :viele: :applaus:

• ANZEIGE
  • Hi

They don't need refrigeration straight away as are strictly univoltine . Keep them at normal outside temperatures for rest of the summer . When the cold weather arrives , put them in an airtight plastic box and then put in fridge for 6-8 weeks ie Jan-Feb . The box must be airtight otherwise the fridge will dry out the pupae . This should be a long enough cold spell . I do not refrigerate all winter as it can cause infertility .

Hope this helps .

• I never use soil in the fridge, if you want a substrate to moisten, use cocofiber or moss. I never keep containers airtight, animals

do not experience airtight conditions in nature. I use a moistened sponge in a container to increase humidity and keep it

livestock in the veggie crisper part of the fridge. I would wait until fall to store the livestock. About airtight, some people use

airtight boxes and experience the same results, I've read a post claiming no difference, apparently pupa need very little if

any air during diapause. Put a humidity meter in with the animals- I have them everywhere..

When you mist pupa, you're risking mold, and I've found it just isn't needed, most cocoons are water tight anyway. So I have

experienced varied results with temperature, some species require much colder winters than others, that's not saying you can't

keep all your stock at the same temperature, just that I have noticed different results with species from cold climates,

Now that you have what are apparently 3 different approaches- have at it. experience will lead you in the right direction.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!