Brahmaea hearseyi [ENGLISH]

• Hello Everyone,

I'm writing here, because I couldn't find any useful information on the internet in English. I don't speak German, so I tried to translate some comments in the forum to English, but the web translators out there are suck...

I'm interested in Brahmaea hearseyi. I'm receiving some pupae next week and I barely know something about this moth.

I'm interested in the following topics:
    - how to overwinter the pupae: temperature, humidity?
    - when should I expect the pupae to hatch in the spring?
    - mating: any special thing I have to do to get them to mate?
    - how and where to keep the ova/larvae: temperature, humidity?
    - how long does it take the ova to hatch?
    - where do the larvae pupate? (in the soil, on the hostplant)
    but if you have ANY useful information about the rearing of this moth, don't hesitate to write it :smile:

I know it can be reared on Ligustrum ovalifolium in captivity, but if you know any other hostplant which can be found in Europe, please let me know.

I live in Hungary if it counts.
    Please reply in English! :ausruf:

Thanks for Your help in advance!!!

• ANZEIGE
  • Hey Meanboy,
    as in my experiences ALL males hatched first and had already died when the females followed I can't tell you anything about adult moths.

Regardless I have some answers on your questions.

- eggs need any 10 to 12 days of incubation at room temperature. Sprayin thema once a day is absolutely enough. I always store my eggs in petri dishes without any paper or towels. Just plastic. You can easily detect if they're fertilized if you look at the micropyle (top of the eggshell): it is getting red after about 2 days. A red speckled pattern is forming all over the eggshell. Unfertilized eggs stay simply yellow.

- larva are told to go underground for metamorphosis, but in my experiences they just settle down anywhere ON the soil and pupate without any silk.

Good luck with your Brahmaeas, they are amazing!!!

• Hi Tamas,

you can overwinter the pupae so they will hatch in May or June, or you can keep them warm (about 25 - 28°C) and humid. Under warm conditions, the imagos usually hatch after 4 - 6 weeks.
    You can breed them through the whole year, up to 6 generations p.a..

I never had problems with males and females hatching too differently - three days ago and two days ago two male hearseyi's hatched, today a female. More imagos will emerge in the following days. I hope, there will be some matings.

Greetz,
    Joerg

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!