Totenkopfschwärmerraupen - was beachten

• Hi!

Ich bin ganz aufgeregt.. ich hab gestern meine ersten Totenkopfschwärmerraupen gefunden!
    Zwei Stück, in einem Kartoffelfeld, eine hat sich aber bereits vergraben. Die andere ist noch etwas kleiner. Ich hab ihr Kartoffelblätter mitgenommen.

Was muss ich beachten? Wie verhält es sich bei diesen Tieren mit der Überwinterung.. werden die Falter heuer noch schlüpfen? Oder soll ich die Puppen kühl lagern?

LG Karin

• ANZEIGE
  • Hello rat, I don't speak german very well so I will reply in English

The deathshead hawkmoth is continuously brooded. This means they can have unlimited generations without needing to overwinter.
    Your pupae will emerge this year if you keep them warm enough (room temperature).
    It is possible to overwinter them though, but it is optional. By keeping them cool (around 5-10 degrees) they will go into a diapause. If not, they emerge.

• In most of Europe, Acherontia atropos will not survive the winter.

This is because Acherontia atropos is native to Afrika, and some parts of South Europe (Kreta). They need a very hot climate.
    The reason they are found all over Europe is because they are excellent migrants. In summer, they can migrate from Afrika all the way to Sweden and Russia.
    They are however not fit to survive in these climates. Most Acherontia atropos overwintering in the northern parts of Europe will die from the cold in winter.

In Afrika, they do not overwinter at all and spawn continuous broods.

If you plan to release the moth outside then yes, I would overwinter them.
    If you plan to breed them in captivity, then there is no need for overwintering.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!