Care of Aristolochia Tagala in winter

• Hello actias members

I currently have one plant of aristolochia tagala which is about a year and a half old and is not doing so well I’ve been forced to bring it inside as of the outside winter temperatures.

I would hate to lose this plants therefore I was wondering if anyone had any tips on keeping plants healthy indoors as right now it’s being attached by spider mites and I’ve tried to sort it by a method I read about but I’m not sure if it just made the situation worse.

I’ve been forced to take a cutting in case anything bad happens and I lose the plant.

Also I have multiple seedlings and sprouting seeds which I can get easily but once they start to grow a mould/fungi starts to grow resulting in the plant dying very quickly after. If there is a way in fixing this then it also would be of great help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks again

Connor

• ANZEIGE
  • I don't have any personal experiences with this plant myself.
    But I would say that you should bring it inside and place it in a windowsill.
    Water it from time to time but do not overwater. if the plant is to big I don't think its a problem to prune it.

The spider mites should be killed with some biological insecticides such as Pyrethrum which break down in a week and do not enter the plant itself. Next to that spraying the plant a few times a week will prevent spider mites from becoming a plague.

• A. tagala is absolutely a tropical plant and does not tolerate even subtropical "winters". From personal experience I know that even the Tenerife lowland climate is too cool during midwinter for this species as it goes dormant and leafs turn yellow and brown for 4 months in freeland conditions. You should keep your plants at min. 25 'C. Light exposure should be 11-12 hours a day like in the tropics. No way round it....

Water your "big" Aristolochia plant through a under-plate/cup. Fill the under-plate/cup and let the soil absorb the water and repeat until the soil is moist/saturated. This way you avoid the topsoil from becoming wet and mold/fungi developing.

Rob is right on the spider mites. They thrive well in low humidity conditions, so spraying the leafs 1-3 times daily with a fine mist is recommended - especially on the underside of leafs, where they mostly hide. I too use a chemical spray if it gets out of hand. Supposedly a light cow's milk spray will create a thin milk-fat layer that the spider mites does not like. I have not tried it myself though. If your leafs are severely affected by the spider mites already, I would recommend you cut them off and dispose the off asap. Then give the trunks a chemical spray to wipe the last ones out.

And be careful that your seedlings does not get infected by the spider mites

Jan

• Thank you everyone for the help but sadly I believe the plant to be dead. The cuttings also failed, turning black after 2 days of being under heated propagator conditions sadly. I will just have to focus on growing the seeds and starting again in spring. I’ve recently recieved multiple tubers from a member on Actias which I hope will grow into large plants in the upcoming years and will also suffice most captive bred species of lepidoptera.

If anyone has any good indoor growing set ups that could be constructed to keep plant going throughout the winter.

Kind regards

Connor

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!