Acherontia Prepupa question.

• Hello guys,

i currently have a few larvae of acherontia atropos at the end of their L4 stage, (they are about 5 cm) and i need some info regarding their pupation.

Do i need to include a type of soil or substrate once they shed to L5, or do i put them in a cage without food and just substrate once they turn red-ish? I Only got 3 larvae unfortunately and dont want to mess up. It my first time with a hawkmoth species, i used to raise Papilio Machaon, Pieris Rapae, The ruby tiger and other species which didnt need to make underground chambers.

Thanks in advance,
    Sotiris :falter::falter::falter::falter:

• ANZEIGE
  • Hello Sotiris,
    when I was breeding A. atropos, pupation was very easy. Once they are raedy for that step (after changing colour and emptying the guts) they leave the foodplant and start wandering around on the bottom. That´s the moment when you transfer them (single) to a container with substrate. I used cut open 10 l plastic kanisters filled with a mix of garden-soil and sand, semi humid (not wet!). Probably smaller containers will also do, but they should have a certain hight. With my finger I drilled some vertical holes in the substrate, which I think made it easier for them to enter. None of them needed more than one hour to disappear. After two weeks at room temperature I "harvested" the pupae, all were perfect.
    Good luck
    Thomas

• Atropos will also pupate perfectly well in artificial conditions, without any soil. In fact, it can be safer and avoids damage from collapsed pupal cells where larvae have burrowed into each other's territories.

The method I used recently:
    Once they develop the orange stripe along their back, place them singly into plastic take-away containers with a few sheets of dry tissue. No need to add moisture.
    Place the container in a dark place where it will be undisturbed. The larva will move the tissue around for a while, and might make am attempt at a pupal chamber, but then will settle and begin pupation.
    Once the larva becomes immobile, place the pre-pupal larvae on damp tissue with perhaps three larvae to each container. At this point, darkness is no longer needed (it just helped to subdue the larvae). It can help to form a vague cup shape in the tissue, to stop them rolling into each other.
    The larva will lay on its front, and will develop two dark shoulder patches in the day before pupation.
    When it pupates, it will flip onto its back in the few minutes before shedding its skin, and should not be disturbed.

Pupating in soil does feel more 'natural', but it can introduce a few risks (collapsed cells, pupae dug out too early)

• Hello raged - robbin,

Your methods seems cheaper and easier, because getting 20 cm deep soil and 3 containers filled with it is a bit expensive! (it would cost me about 30 $!)..do they need a certain depth made with sheets or a certain size for the container?

• I use the plastic tubs which take-away food is delivered in. 5cm tall. 15cm long. 10cm wide.
    But I use these because they are free/cheap. They would pupate in anything smaller as long as it is large enough for them to lay flat.
    The tissue just gives them something to do. It helps them to settle. Just a few sheets of tissue is enough. They just push it around and bite it and spread saliva/silk on it and destroy it. After two or three days, they start to shrink and can no longer walk. They pupate well if they are then placed onto tissue that has a 'rounded' cocoon shape for them to lay in. This is because it helps them to flip upside down properly when they begin to shed their skin, and stops them rolling around.

• Hello Sotiris

I know this Is late and you would have already done the methods above but something I do for most of my hawkmoth larvae is when they start looking for a place to pupate I place each one in a takeaway container full of old porridge oats and as long as these are not wet they will not produce mold, often the larvae will bury down within a couple of hours and then I leave them a week and collect them which reassures that they have hardened (this method is very much like the soil method but much cheaper )

Sam

• ANZEIGE

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!