Caligo memnon caterpillar osmeterium-like organ

• Hello Everyone,

today I found this weird thing on my Caligo memnon L4 caterpillars. When I touch them they lift their head up and project a small "inflatable" horn-like organ. It is similar to an osmeterium in papilionid caterpillars, but there is no smell. I also found the small slit on my L3 caterpillars, but there isn't any horn-like organ. Could anyone explain what this is?

Adam

• ANZEIGE
  • I used GC-MS on this organ for my research in Norwhich Research Park, on caterpillars of the related butterfly Eryphanis sp.
    I found no significant compounds, strangely, except for palmitic acid. But that is a very common compound, I wonder if it is from the protrusion itself or contamination of the samples..
    However, it has been proven that some beetle larvae use palmitic acid against ants, it is found in the fecal shields of the Chrysomelidae larvae.

There is a smell by the way but it is not very strong, it smells "dusty", like a dusty office..
    More research is needed I think. I've been told the hydrolyzation of the palmitinic acid is also important to look at, but that is beyond my current level of understanding of chemistry. Maybe I will continue if I am better educated in this subject..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!