Overwintering pupae

• Hello Actias!
    Some species of butterflies and moths need to overwinter. They can be overwintered in a shed or in the fridge.
    I live in Portugal, where it is hot, even in the winter. So the shed is not an option.
    I don like very much the idea of overwintering pupae in the fridge, especially because in the fridge, pupae suffer very much from dessication.
    So, can anyone give me some tips of how to overwinter pupae?
    Greetings,
    Thomas K.
    :falter::falter::falter::smiling_face::hilfe::hilfe:

• ANZEIGE
  • Hi,
    many of us use the refrigerator, it's a safe predator free place. Personally, I use the crisper portion, and will use a wet
    sponge in a plastic box to raise the humidity. Pupa that bury themselves can be kept on or in moist peat in a plastic container.
    A person must check for molds now and then, but not using too much water will prevent that. Breathable containers can help as
    well. The temperature in the average refrigerator is fine for nearly all temperate species. For instance- in my crisper, it's about
    49F, and has low humidity, usually under 50%, there are different containers with air holes for different species, and I keep a moist
    sponge in a box, and have a basic temperature and humidity gauge. It works every year.
    Depending on your particular situation, a studio size mini fridge could work for you as well.
    Even though moth cocoons experience wet weather in the outdoors, wetting them over the winter isn't necessary, you could mist them
    now and then if you like, but always check for excess moisture and mold later.
    Best luck.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!