Pseudantheraea discrepans Puppen beweglich ?

• ANZEIGE
  • From my experience: the pupae are very though, but they can move slightly if molested, it is just not very noticeable.

However, I noticed that the pupae can have an extremely high mortality rate if shipped from Africa. I experienced this in summer too, so it's not just frost damage. When I opened them up, the inside of the pupa shells were completely filled with a strange type of fungus, that must have consumed them from the inside.

I didn't blame the supplier for this, because I think this is an entomopathogenic fungus that attacks P. discrepans in the wild, because my pupae were harvested from the wild and I imported them in great quantities (100+) and the mortality rate by fungus was 80%.
    Interestingly. P. discrepans do not burrow in the soil to pupate but are loosely suspended from the food plants, sometimes between leaves, but often also naked and exposed to the elementss in big numbers (I guess that is why the pupa is more green and camouflaged in the foliage).
    I can imagine a pathogen can spread easily this way however, especially from infected pupae.

Good luck with your breeding operation, I failed to pair the adults too that hatched.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!