Actias luna and Antheraea polyphemus foodplants

• Good afternoon,

I am writing in this forum section because I have some questions to ask to you…

I bought some eggs of Actias luna and Antheraea polyphemus yesterday and I know that they're from imported cocoons from Canada.
    My question is: what is the best foodplant for each species?
    I mean, I live in Italy, precisely in the North of this country, and I know that the plants which are located here aren't the same which you can find in Canada…
    So I would like to know what are the best foodplants which I can find here in Italy, to breed these two species.
    In my area there are some Populus nigra, Prunus spinosa and Quercus robur and also some Crataegus plants…

I haven't got Liquidambar, Juglans and many other plants.

Thanks in advance to those people/that person who will answer to my questions!

Federico.

• ANZEIGE
  • Federico,

I just replied to someone on another site who wondered why luna was so common in southern Canada where he lived since there was no Juglans or Liquidambar nearby. Its because the main host in southern Canada is Betula. And white oak, Quercus alba, comes up second in southern Canada. Yes, oak for luna. And this may be true for polyphemus, too. I lived in the midwest of the USA for several years and the main host of polyphemus was Betula papyrifera. But try Quercus for polyphemus. Most populations will eat that.

Okay, does that help you?

Michael in Tucson, Arizona, USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!