Maximum temperature different catterpillars and butterflies like Papilio Machaon, Vanessa Cardiu, Aglais Io, other day butterflies.

• Hello,

Can someone inform me more about if there is a maximum temperature that certain catterpillars and butterflies can endure?
    There have been quite hot summers. My greenhouse is always hotter. Like today 35 degrees Celsius, but that could increase to 40 or over depending om what the outside temperature does.

Last year I was away for two weeks and my friend took all the caterpillars and pupae indoors as my green house was over 40.

I have already taken the Aglias Io pupae indoors for now, but the Vanessa Cardiu and Papilio Machaon caterpillars are still in the greenhouse at day temperatures of 35. Not in any direct sunlight until later in the day.

I am raising them to help the national butterfly population, as it’s not been going well, so I want to try my best to raise as many as possible, without them dying for whatever reason, like heat.

Thanks in advance! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

• ANZEIGE
  • Hello Denise,

I do not know at what temperatures the caterpillars or pupae can die. It would be very different between the different specis.
    But I have observed in my breeding that most caterpillars start to leave the feed at around 35 ° C and go to cooler places.
    Only a few species enjoy or are even looking for higher temperatures.

Another request from the entomologist: the scientific names of animals and plants are divided into generic and species names, the first being capitalized and the second lowercase:
    Papilio machaon. :winking_face:

Best regards
    Rudi

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!