Smerinthus ocellata

• Hello!

i'm a very beginner when it comes to rearing moths, especially bigger ones like hawk-moths. Only basic knowledge of rearing butterflies, though some smaller moths (like cinnabar moths).
    Got 15 eggs awhile back, all hatched with succes in 5 days time. However, I instantly noticed none of them ate their eggs. After an hour or two I started giving them Salix alba. Which they started to feed on quickly. After almost 72 hours now, 7 of them died. First 2 after 24h, then after 48h 2 more, now at almost 72h later another 3.

I rinsed the fresh Salix before giving it to them, every evening I spray very lightly above the container with water (misting). The container is pretty small (8cm by 7cm, 3cm deep), should I top it with netting? Could it be overcrowding? Saw them fighting eachother a few times. The remaining caterpillars seem to grow just fine, though.

Suggestions are welcome :smiling_face:

Thanks in advance.

• ANZEIGE
  • Hi,

and wellcome :winking_face:

I spray very lightly above the container with water (misting).

Don´t do so. ocellata don´t need it to be sprayed with water.

The container is pretty small (8cm by 7cm, 3cm deep)

Maybe a little bit to small. A more higher container would be better. So you could put completely small branches inside. So the caterpillars would be able to climbe at the underside of the leaves and rest there. That is there naturally place.

should I top it with netting?

No, not now. After change theire skin to L2, they would need more air and a bigger container.
    Put a piece of toilettpaper at the ground. It will take the moister from air and balls. :winking_face:

For the first 4 days put them completely in darkness. So they would eat better.

Good luck.
    Rudi

• Sorry to say:

A typical mistake of a beginner! Never ever spray host plant with water!!! In a closed box, a wet environment gives rise to germs (bacteria, fungi) which readily infest the caterpillars, leading to diarrhea and, consequently, to death. If you are seriously unlucky, not a single caterpillar may survive, since such infections spread within the population like - let's say for current experience - coronaviruses among humans.

Regards,

• Sorry to say:

A typical mistake of a beginner! Never ever spray host plant with water!!! In a closed box, a wet environment gives rise to germs (bacteria, fungi) which readily infest the caterpillars, leading to diarrhea and, consequently, to death. If you are seriously unlucky, not a single caterpillar may survive, since such infections spread within the population like - let's say for current experience - coronaviruses among humans.

Regards,

Thankfully, the others survived and are feeding well!

For the first 4 days put them completely in darkness. So they would eat better.

Good luck.
    Rudi

Are there any advantages with keeping them in darkness after those 4 initial days?

• Are there any advantages with keeping them in darkness after those 4 initial days?

Young caterpillars that feed on woody trees usually try to attach themselves to the shoot tips and orient themselves to the light.
    They wander in the direction of the light until they reach the end of the branches. Mostly....

In a breeding box, the feed branches are usually on the lids. On the way to the light, the caterpillars leave the food and wander around the lid.

Darkening prevents this.
    After 1-3 days, the L1 hardly have this tendency.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!