Posts by fbutterfly

Hello there this is most probably a silly question but thought I would ask anyway :).

I have some very health Actias rhodopneuma currently spinning cocoons. I’m based in the U.K . I’ve fed them on cotinus coggygria which they seem to have thrived on . Anyway I can see now the leaves are starting to change colour for autumn so I don’t expect this food plant will be around to raise another generation in a few weeks time so I’m just wondering if anyone knows of anything I could feed larvae on in the winter ? Something evergreen ? It’s probably not possible for me and will start over with fresh eggs next year but just thought I would ask

Thank you so much for your reply’s I’m a lot less worried now . Hopefully they will be eating fine in the next day or so. Also I had wondered if it was that my cotinus was the red variety so I’m so glad it’s not that and that you’ve raised them fine on it before .

Thanks for your help :)

Hello there

I maybe am worrying too soon but I have some Actias rhodopneuma that hatched this morning . I was wanting to feed them on continus coggygria as I read this was suitable and I have it in my own garden so have a good supply . Only the larvae don’t seem to be showing any signs of eating it and they are doing a lot of roaming about instead of setting down to feed so I was worried they just don’t want to eat this and maybe I need to go and find some liquidambar instead ?!? Does anyone else have any experience of feeding these on continus coggygria? It’s the first time I’ve had this species so maybe it’s that they do walk around a lot before settling down to feed ? Any info would be fantastic :). They have only hatched in the last few hours so excuse me if I’m worrying too much , I just want to be doing the right thing

Thanks

:hilfe: