Posts by Superhoops67

I too have seen this with some Samia cocoons , Lackey moth and Lappet cocoons . Lackey especially are covered in a yellow powder and lots of it .

I wonder if it's foul tasting to predators so they learn to leave them alone or the powder is irritating to their eyes . Another possibility is that it could be some kind of anti fungal powder . These are only ideas/thoughts with no proof behind them .

Hi

They don't need refrigeration straight away as are strictly univoltine . Keep them at normal outside temperatures for rest of the summer . When the cold weather arrives , put them in an airtight plastic box and then put in fridge for 6-8 weeks ie Jan-Feb . The box must be airtight otherwise the fridge will dry out the pupae . This should be a long enough cold spell . I do not refrigerate all winter as it can cause infertility .

Hope this helps .

I have successfully reared mittrei on gunni twice . First few instars were in a sealed plastic tub then on cut stems plugged in a bottle of water at room temp . The stems were very long and of fresh growth which may be a problem in winter . When small they were sprayed daily and cleaned twice a day . When they were on stems in a large nest cage I sprayed them several times a day . Both times I had 100% success and healthy adults emerged . Hope this is of use

Not aware of any wild population of N.American Saturn's in Europe . Although Europe and N.America/ Canada are on similar latitudes I have experienced the weather over there and the temperatures and humidity are much more extreme especially at night . I think this may partly explain why we don't have large Saturnids in Europe

Oak doesn't necessarily bleed more than other trees , but it has a compound in it that male iris find irresistible ( so I have been told ) . Hand pairing iris is much harder than atlas or machaon , only a few people in GB know the secret of hand pairing iris . Also the male needs to be 3-4 days old so has had time to drink plenty of minerals to become sexually mature

If you are lucky enough to catch a female, the the chances are she has already been mated with . From experience most females of any butterfly are mated with relatively soon after hatching .
    Iris females spend most of their time avoiding the attention of males once mated, so fly only to feed or egg lay.
    Look for sap oozing from oak trees , this is irresistible to iris , mainly males but you may get lucky with a female

Hi . I raised these last year and currently have 15 cocoons waiting to emerge . I am surprised they have hatched so quickly as they normally come out towards the end of summer but that doesn't really matter . If they had mated I would expect them still to be paired in the morning . Also if the female starts egg laying she will tend to lay them in straight chains if she was mated with . Leave them together again tonight with some airflow and hopefully they will pair up .
    Hope this helps
    Dave

I think it would almost certainly fail as migrants from Europe colonised the coast of Sussex a few years back and layed eggs only for it to disappear the following year . . . .also it would be illegal to try it , but only if you're caught

Hi Connor
    No need to panic . This species has evolved to hatch early in the season , often before the birch has leaves on it . Firstly make sure the eggs have changed from yellow to brown to show they are fertile.This is also an evolutionary development to camouflage them on the bare birch twigs . Once brown they can be kept outside in the cold so they don't develop , but not in direct sunshine. As soon as the birch is in leaf bring the eggs inside and they should hatch in a week to 10 days . I also have KG hatching , pairing and egg laying at moment. I have in previous years kept the eggs cool for up to 6 weeks and still plenty hatching. Hope this helps .
    Dave

These moths normally pair on their second nite and the female only calls after a short flight and mormally after midnight . They don't stay coupled for long so you may have missed it . Keep any eggs layed just in case . In the past I have just left them in a small hanging cage with a slight breeze near a window . However this year I have had stock from several sources and the males seem to have been very weak and not interested in flying at all .