Nymphalis antiopa mating failing

• Hi everybody,

It has been a month or more since my N. antiopa hatched, but so far I have not observed them mate and no eggs has been laid. These are from USA and should have two generations per season. I keep them in one of the these big pop-up cages and they have bottled flowers, extra sugar water and small potted host plants to oviposit on. They behave normal as they move around, but to no avail so far... The weather has been very disagreeable here however, so that might have had an negative effect for many days, but some days have been ok also. Can anybody kindly advice me please on what to do to make them mate? All inputs will be much appreciated, thanks.

Jan

• ANZEIGE
  • I have successfully bred antiopa. O a few occasions.
    1 They may be at the end of a breeding line.
    Large pop up cageis ok.
    They like to feed on bananas.figs etc and like a nectar flower.
    You should use a mix of fructose and honey with a splash of soy sauce.
    Even a bit of rotting fish.
    They like places to hide.
    And salix caprea is the best for laying on.
    You need a bright sunny day 25 to 30 degrees.
    And a bit of good luck

• Thanks for your advice Jonathan. Here in southern Sweden I think that we had maybe 2 bright sunny days so far this summer, barely reaching 25 degrees, so a rather a "green winter". That may well be a reason why they have not mated after this long time then.... Ok, I must wrap their cage partly in clear plastic to create a greenhouse effect for them.

Any other inputs from other members will still be appreciated.

Jan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!