• ANZEIGE
  • I have a contact in Quebec, he often buys from Worldwide Butterflies and other sources in the EU as well as the states.

His issues seem no more different than anyone else's. Sometimes things are slow, sometimes not. The rules are

different in Canada for receiving livestock than they are here in the USA, a bit more generous with imports. Keep

in mind many species only spend 10 to 12 days as ova.

• Well, I see your location is in the USA, only natives are legally traded within our borders, the buyer is typically the person

who would encounter an issue, unless you're selling on some industrial scale.

I have no information on Canadian law, if you are in the USA, you are probably not subject to Canadian prosecution

for pretty much anything. I have found the following to be accurate over time- Hobbyists are unlikely to be targeted,

unless you make yourself obvious, I've sent and received livestock with no issues at all, you may need to be creative

filling out a customs form if you are shipping, as a permit is required to ship live insects out of the country, and it's

virtually impossible to get one.

If you are caught violating the Lacey act, you might face a punishment similar to this, which just happened to an Oregon

man for importing scorpions multiple times, he got 2 years probation, a 5k fine, 250 hours community service, and once

you've been caught, you can forget about receiving any more overseas packages that don't get opened first.

• You're good to go then, my friend in Quebec is always buying material from the EU without problems, except

for shipping delays from time to time. but that can happen to anyone. Some countries have more reliable

post, and not all carriers are the same either. There is another insect site, Insectnet.com, it's more of a USA trading

site, although it's a worldwide forum, what you will find with a lot of USA sellers, is that they won't ship livestock out of the country for legal reasons.

• If you're living in Canada, I think importation is simply allowed, without restriction, I could ask my friend in Quebec, but

he's never mentioned needing any permits, he buys livestock from private individuals, and places like World Wide

Butterflies. Shipping depends on your needs, usually, the quicker the better, If I send ova overseas, or receive it,

it's usually sent in an envelope, people use things like coin holders, which go through processing without getting

crushed. Diapaused stock is typically sent in boxes, the post is not often kind to packages, so it's good to make

things as indestructible as possible,

I send material overseas and to Canada now and then, the buyer has no liability, The way I see it, Canadian hobbyists

have quite a variety of species available, the only issue being shipping and having your stock arrive alive.

• ANZEIGE
  • I have a contact in Quebec, he often buys from Worldwide Butterflies and other sources in the EU as well as the states.

His issues seem no more different than anyone else's. Sometimes things are slow, sometimes not. The rules are

different in Canada for receiving livestock than they are here in the USA, a bit more generous with imports. Keep

Woah Woah. Canada is NOT GENEROUS AT ALL with imports of live Lepidoptera. Legally wise, practically all imported live Lepidoptera into Canada have to be declared by customs and have permits issued such as with CFIA authorization, and those permits can only be issued if the intended use of the livestock is "exhibition" or "educational". This means that you can only issue permits to import live Lepidoptera if you are rich and can afford to build a butterfly house that will be open to the public, or if you are a university or research institution. Just because someone in Canada is successfully obtaining illegal livestock, that doesn't mean that Canada is really that "generous" and loose with their laws and regulations.

Border customs probably make mistakes all the time and sometimes things just "slip" past them without them knowing. Or they do know and in fact, they just start keeping an eye on you. Just because someone else got in trouble that doesn't mean you won't too. I'm in Canada too and I know how much of a pain in the a$$ it is when you wanna rear an Actias species besides Luna. But, if you are unsure about import laws and regulations, I'd recommend just sticking to legal native species sent within Canada as ultimately they have their own unique traits and characteristics that make them unique and awesome on their own. Plus, many spoiled Europeans who legally can get their hands on many tropical species often still try their best to get their hands on North American species all the time lol.

Here's a link to Canada's Appendix 1 which states all the potential "harmful" organisms, and funny enough the first thing they list are "tropical butterflies" and Lepidoptera, and just take a look at how many species are listed and how many are "permit to import". I guess Canada is just watching out for the potential invasiveness of blue morphos and Argema mittrei towards its country.

Appendix 1: Plant health requirements for the import into Canada of certain potentially injurious organisms - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!