Antheraea Polyphemus ova question

• I live in the US. I am still somewhat new to Saturniid breeding. Recently I had a male and a female Polyphemus moth emerge in a rearing cage indoors. They came from the same brood although I’m not sure about the generations prior. The second night, the female began laying eggs. I did not observe a pairing. I then released the male since it kept frantically flapping around. The female laid a few eggs at a time over the course of a few days. Last night, I put another newly emerged female outside in a cage to attract a male. This morning I discovered her laying eggs, but what seemed to be all her eggs at once with a bit of dark sticky substance between some of them (I did not see this on the indoor female’s eggs).

My questions are, does this sound like a male came to fertilize during the night? Is there a way to tell if Polyphemus eggs are fertile? And lastly, how long does Polyphemus stay attached while they are mating? Any answers are appreciated.

• ANZEIGE
  • Usually polyphemus will stay copulated until the next day, after pairing in the evening. I am sure there

are exceptions.

The mass laying sounds abnormal.

My guess would be any ova are probably not fertilized, from either female.

I always keep ova for at least 14 days, sometimes longer, or unless the ova collapse and shrink,

then that is a clear sign of infertility. Most Saturniidae hatch in 10 days, give or take, others can take

much longer.

Use a small container, don't put any leaves in with ova, I use a petri dish for ova and mist the top of the dish

periodically.

Lastly, it's getting late for caterpillars, especially outdoors.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!