Beiträge von Prem63

Hi Manfred

Danke

I will keep them outdoors where it is a little cool at the moment, but that is normal for April.

Prem

Dear friends,

Just a quick question

How many days do the eggs of Aglia tau take to hatch? This is the first time with this species. My guess is two weeks.

The eggs will be laid tonight. I had a pairing today.

These will be in a cool sheltered are outdoors in England, where the weather is predicted to be cool and rainy for the next couple of weeks.

I ask because I am going away from the 5th April until the 15th of April

Thank you and best wishes

Prem

Hi

The plant is Turnera and is related to passiflora. In SE Asia Cethosia feed on Turnera. The butterfly is Lampides boeticus and usually take the flowers and seed pods of Leguminous plants. I don't think it feeds on Turnera.

bw.

Prem

Hello Merlin,

Thank you for your helpful reply.

A. grandiflora is also available here, so I think I will try to get a plant.

I will have a look at the book later.

I was wanting to try the Common Rose, it has the relatively slow careful flight that will do well in a polytunnel, I think.

I am not ambitious enough to try Troides etc and I bet they eat a lot.

Best wishes

Prem

Hi Everyone.

My question is about tropical butterflies that feed on Aristolochia. My 6 one year old A.tagala plants that were very growing nicely have probably died in the conservatory. This is my fault, I should have brought them into the house. A tagala does not like getting cold and it has been cloudy and raining for a month here in England.

I have A. durior and A. sempervirens. Will South -east Asian Pachliopta feed on either of these? Will South American Parides take either of these,

Any advice will be very welcome

Prem (in England)

Hi. Regarding pavonia. The best way to attract the Moths is to get some cocoons, they may still be available and when a female emerges she will attract the males. They will pair easily it has always worked for me and I live surrounded by open farmland. A heathland would be even better.

Hi Ethan, thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree neither will tolerate frost.

I think I will try to keep them going in the polytunnel as long as possible and then in a large cage. If they can, in one stage or the other get through to March (that is a long way off) then they can start again.

Best wishes

Prem

Hi. I have tried to overwinter dubernardii. I kept them in a frost free shed in central England from November to march. It was not successful. Many of the pupae had formed, but failed to hatch. I suspect the natural habitat does get quite cool and dry in the short winter. Day time temperature 15 to 20. Night 5 to 10 similar to the Himalayas at 1500m.

Best wishes Prem

Hi. It is tempting to try these small and delayed caterpillars and seems cruel not to try. But I think that often these delayed and small caterpillars have been infected with something and this infection can spread to all the caterpillars which can be a disaster. It is best not to try , or if you really want to, keep them separated . Best wishes Prem

Hi Nils. Mid April is not unusual. The moth had been flying in southern England for about 2 weeks. I have seen them as late as early June also. The gregarious young caterpillars are easy on plum, blackthorn or hawthorn. Plum is best as there are no thorns. In the 4th and 5th instars they can be prone to disease. Keep the population density low in the wild they wander away from each other. I usually let most of mine go and keep a dozen or so for the following year. Best wishes Prem

Hi Cheyenne. I note that you say you have lots. Are the non pupating caterpillars disturbing the pupating ones?

Best wishes

Prem

Hello. If there is a flow of air then this makes it easier for the male to track the pheromone from the female. I keep my moths outside in a cage the breeze at night works well. The humidity of the outdoor air also helps keeping the moths alive which is important if the eclosure of the male and female do not synchronise. Good luck. Prem

Hello Uwe. I have had my dubernardii cocoons since November. I kept them cold in a frost free shed. They started to hatch about 2 weeks ago. They are outdoors and it is cool cloudy and rainy in England. Last summer and autumn they eclosed after 4 to 6 weeks and most hatched at the same time. Best wishes Prem

hi Marcel. I think your description of caterpillars writhing around sounds like insecticides

But where from is the problem. Leaves sprayed by farmers or gardeners or the District council

Dog or cat flea repellent. Clothes moth killer.

Wash everything. Perhaps find a new place to get foodplant

I.hope things get better.

Best wishes

Prem

Hi Hector

I would suggest that pairings are most likely if there is a slight breeze taking the pheromone from female to male. Outdoors would be best, but attacus atlas may need to be above 20 degrees at night. Next to an open window, indoors may be ok. Good luck. Prem

Hello. I think it is Padus. We have avium and Padus and this looks like Padus. It is useful as foodplant for callosamia promethea and automeris io. Padus stays fresh much longer than avium. The flowers of Padus are different to avium. Best wishes Prem