Beiträge von luna moth

Hi,

I have been on a trip lately and trying to catch many Lepidoptera species to bring back and breed. Today, however, as usual death was no stranger. I lost about 12+ specimens today that will probably not see for awhile. I’ve tried literally everything. Sometimes they do well, other times the species only live 12 hours. I have had many troubles with swallowtails and fritillaries lately. Either the afternoon or night they become very hyperactive and die. Even butterflies that I have raised are dying. My enthusiasm for this hobby I have loved so long is starting to wither. Somehow the weird behavior I have no one else has had. This has happened this year and many years prior. :unamused_face:

I am losing hope.

Hi,

I caught 2 wild caught hemileuca eglanterina caterpillars. One was found on a trail and another was found randomly on my net. Both are the same size. Around 2.5 inches. Are they still feeding?

Both caterpillars are just wandering around my mesh cage not doing much. Is there anything I can do to help them?

Regards,

Ethan

Well, they’re is a chance a butterflies won’t even live that long since it is the first brood. Maybe, you could try to setup the cage and hope for the best.

Hi Franz,

Well, I’m not the best with keeping things cool. But in a large enough cage, if you have rotting fruit the butterflies should be independent enough to feed. Now, it depends on how long your will be gone.

Hi Jan,

Yeah, the only pairing I’ve gotten with Nymphalidae is Vanessa cardui. Unfortunately, I have the same problem many Nymphalidae like N. antiopa is that the males live only for 2-3 weeks. I have 4 tortiseshells and 1 is a male. So pairing is still possible. Do you think setting up some kind a dirt bank would help with them for getting minerals?

Best Regards,

Ethan

Thanks!

I was told with enough light, ventilation, and host plants the tortoiseshell would pair. Or even outside. I’ve never really tried that hard with hand pairing worried that I may hurt a specimen.

Hello,

I’ve had my Agalis utricae for about 2 weeks now but no paring. I have some stinging nettle but still no pairing. Already, a few of the males died.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Ethan

Usually, pupae will dry out. I can see them drowning, but usually too much humidity doesn’t seem that common (at least for me.) Do the pupae still move? Do they feel light?

Hi Kevin,

Yes, usually my cage is pretty bright in the afternoon when the sun shines via my window.

I’ll try some of your tips.

Now my Papilio glaucus is acting strange again. It’s becoming very active in the dark. My polyxenes is also struggling. When I turn in the lights it seems to strangely help but I have to keep their day and night cycles. Is there anything I can do?

Hi!

I do not want to scare you but pupae shouldn’t really smell. Usually, when a pupae smells it is dead or has a virus.

Maybe try using a water sprayer?

Hello,

I have a Papilio glaucus and polyxenes but both won’t feed. I force fed the P. glaucus but it only ate for around 10 seconds. I am using butterfly nectar with a pinch of salt. If anyone has any idea please let me know. This is why they are not living. I already tried uncoiling the proboscis.

Thanks,

Ethan

Hi Everyone,

I cannot get any butterflies to pair. I have set up cabbage and broccoli for cabbage whites but they won’t pair. One male was courting her the other day and the female’s abdomen looks bloated, but don’t they have to pair for at least a day? Does the bloated abdomen mean anything? I also have many Colias species that won’t breed either. Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks,

Ethan