Rothschildia lebeau: All male pupae died

• I bought Rothschildia lebeau cocoons from a contact in Arizona earlier this year and kept them warm. The females both hatched and so I waited for the males to hatch. One female expired and the last living female is fading with age. I decided to open the cocoons to see if they were still alive. What I found was odd. All three males had abnormalities in the abdominal area with one completely missing. The other male had a hole in his abdomen and the last one was so deformed that it shouldn't have developed so far. The weirdest thing was that their upper half was completely developed. What do you think caused the malformations in the males only?

• ANZEIGE
  • Hi Sonya,
    that is weird, a person might think they were shipped too soon, if it was both sexes. Probably some genetic thing,
    I had issues with cincta earlier with a very low hatch rate for the ova, I had kept my cocoons in the fridge, at around
    50 degrees at best, and then put them into a high humidity chamber for hatching.
    The animals are out of their element, and probably more susceptible to damages and abnormalities.
    I just saw a post for cincta ova, I hope Steve has better luck with his.
    I had some dubernardi form pupa that had weird abnormalities that sound like your leubeau , I have no clue
    about that issue either, probably just an unhealthy larva, and we just don't find those things out until it's
    over.
    kevin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!