Suspension of the pupa and use of the cremaster in Caligo memnon

• Hello. I’d like some help stemming from experienced opinion and knowledge regarding two topics: (1) the need to keep vertically oriented pupae in said position during said stage and (2) a would-be appropriate puncture point (say, for a pin) when no connection to silk/external structure is available.

The first topic is perhaps more oriented towards experience with the literature on lepidoptera development rather than rearing, and so this is likely to be less accessible and/or appropriate/interesting. The second is more practical and, though necessitating being properly informed, is my main aim in creating this post.

So, recently I’ve encountered a problem which consisted in the full detachment of a Caligo memnon pupa from its silk support/pad. Looking, with the naked eye, at the shape and size of the cremaster, while concerned for developmental problems (since this pupa is just a week old), I wondered if I could simply drive a pin through it and into some structure, within a limited range, an so keep it suspended. The following three photos represent the safe area towards the end tip, marked with a red line, into which I imagined lies simply hardened cuticle, not physiologically connected to the actual, living body.

[ealbum='1279','slideshow'][/ealbum]

Is this correct? If not, are there other, more proper ways?

Thanks.

• ANZEIGE

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!