• Alright. This is the 4th time I've tried rearing Actias luna, and it always goes really well until the middle of the 3rd instar. I notice that there is disease when it is too late. I am always just a few days off from putting them in the ventilated cage at the right time, but never exact, so they always end up dying. is there any way to predict the disease?

-

Jacob

• ANZEIGE
  • Use a ventilated cage to start with. I've raised luna indoors in a large cage before, using sweet gum and all survived.

It's up to individuals, and I realize many people use plastic boxes for larva with success, but to me, it is an unatural

method. Perhaps if you need high humidity, that's one thing, but not for temperate species.

Frankly, I don't understand the box method at all, I use cages with cut branches in water, with the larva prevented

from drowning by what ever will work.

• Use a ventilated cage to start with. I've raised luna indoors in a large cage before, using sweet gum and all survived.

It's up to individuals, and I realize many people use plastic boxes for larva with success, but to me, it is an unatural

method. Perhaps if you need high humidity, that's one thing, but not for temperate species.

Frankly, I don't understand the box method at all, I use cages with cut branches in water, with the larva prevented

from drowning by what ever will work.

Good point. I mainly used the box method because it seems to work for other people, but the caterpillars don't start out in a box in the wild, and do just fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!