Pupae Storage Tips

• Hello everyone!

I have always reared mostly species which pupae would only last between weeks to few months, which in my opinion, most of them didn’t need much effort to store them (I usually just let them be and when time comes they hatched).

However, when it comes to Lepidoptera, as well all know, there is a lot of different ways of pupating (from buring deep in the substrate to only in the surface, between leafs or in a silk cocoon for example) and of course some pupae get into diapause/aestivation and hatch in the winter or spend all winter in their pupae and hatch the following year (or even in 2-8 years).

There being said, since I don’t have so much experience with these, and I have already some current larvae that will end up Aestivate (P. populi) and Hibernate (S. pavoniella) for example I would like to kindly ask you if you guys with experience, some tips about how to keep them (which soil works best or material, which temperature or location (for example outside, in a warm/not so cold location indoors, etc) and the better way to keep them without dry out/make it mold (if would be best to spray them/ have some sort of water nearby to produce humity, water them, etcetc).

There is not much information about this matter, and I have tried to look for it in the forum (Forgive me if there is an actual post for this, I tried to search before posting and I didn’t find it, just some specific ones and not general) and I believe it would also help new comers and less experienced people to learn more about this matter!

I would love to read your feedback and tips (feel free to add pictures if you would like to)

Thank you all in advance

:applaus:

• ANZEIGE
  • For species which spin cocoons, and overwinter, I keep them in the fridge, and some species can need temperatures lower

than 45 F, moisture is not needed, as for the most part, the cocoon is weather proof, and interestingly enough, and I've

read posts about the need for air if you put your cocoons in a container, the assertion is that pupa don't breathe, or

breathe very little and can be kept in an air tight container, personally, I err on caution and allow for air exchange and use

a wet sponge to keep humidity up, I keep my diapaused animals in the veggie crisper,

For burrowing larva, I let them burrow in a material like potting soil, and then dig them out several weeks after they burrow

in, a bucket will work fine, and it may be helpful to put a barrier, like a stick or rock next to the side of your burrowing

container to prevent the larva from simply going around in a circle, they run into the barrier and then burrow in, I also

put a lid on the container so it's dark. Once they have hardened, you can dig them up and treat them like a cocoon, some

people will lay their pupa on moist peat, all that is fine for natives, but for animals which experience wet and dry seasons,

it's different, and knowing weather patterns in the origin country is helpful. I check the livestock often enough, especially

since they are in the fridge and that's where I keep the milk-

• Hi

Thanks for your feedback! I have a question regarding your answer:

For cocoons made of silk (for example S. pavoniella) leaving the cocoon in the fridge is safe? Won’t it dry up due the constant cold? No need to spray it?

Really interesting :smiling_face: my biggest concern is to the cocoon dry up if I leave it outdoors in cold (in a Tupperware for example)

For the longer term storage of the pupae of burrowing caterpillars I highly recommend storing the pupae in damp coconut coir.

Hii! Thank you!

When you say damp you mean constantly wet? Or spray it from time to time? :smiling_face:

• It is interesting, since the conditions in a refrigerator do keep things dry, when I first began keeping things over the winter

in the fridge, I did mist them periodically, trying to replicate winter weather, it's a risk of mold, and once that happens,

it's a problem. I lost some stock due to mold, I assume, and since then use a sponge in a container just to keep up

humidity, Honestly, I don't think it's needed, on another website forum, it was asserted that there is no difference

between keeping stock in a closed airtight container as opposed to a more airy and natural situation. Certainly,

with natives, in a pest proof container that allows water to run off, keeping them outdoors will work just fine,

I've kept stock outdoors, and never had a problem, it's just a matter of them being safe over the winter,

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!