Beiträge von Nami

That's incredibly reassuring, thank you!! Yes the abdomen is movable so it should be fine then :smiling_face: it's been exactly 30 days since I took it out of the fridge and I'm thinking its time inside it might not have been enough. Seem like I might have to take the pupa to the airport and pray they don't notice it

That makes sense, thank you both :smiling_face: I guess there's nothing I can do apart from wait and see what's gonna happen to the pupa.

I probably should have mentioned this but I tried to overwinter this little guy over summer in the fridge as I'm moving countries and did not want to risk having my pupa thrown away at the airport. I checked up on it again today and it is extremely squishy especially around the wing area and doesn't really wiggle anymore. It seems like it might not be alive anymore? I'm not sure

Interesting, thank you for the information, I had no idea there was a minimum of 90 days of cold weather. On a different note, I opened one of the cocoons and the pupa seemed incredibly well formed, which if I am not mistaken is a sign of imminent eclosion? Have you ever experienced or heard of Hyalophora having more than one brood per year?

Hiya,

I have some Hyalophora cecropia cocoons that were spun about 4-5 weeks ago, which is incredibly early for a univoltine species. I was wondering if it would be possible to ''trick'' them and make them think they have overwintered by putting them in the fridge for a month and then waiting to see if they'll emerge? I've kept the pupae intact in their cocoons and they're still alive as they wiggle when bothered.

Cheers

Hiya,

I recently acquired some A. frithi eggs and although most of them hatched from their eggs without any issues, the newly emerged caterpillars have been dying non-stop for no reason. I gave them oak leaves initially but it seemed like they refused to eat them so I tried a few other alternatives like eucalyptus, privet, mulberry, chestnut and rose leaves. I keep them in an airtight plastic container lined with some damp paper towel covering the top. An acquaintance of mine has their siblings and they're doing fine on oak and rose leaves but I live in a much hotter country.

Any ideas as to what could have been the cause?

Cheers