Duration of a mating, is it really important?

• Hi! In the G. isabellae breeding topic someone suggested that if two moths copulate for a shorter time than normal,
    this will cause a smaller percentage of eggs getting fertilized. I can't fully agree with this any more. Two weeks ago
    I got a mating from Saturnia pavonia which lasted for only a few (1-2) minutes: the two moths got disturbed and they
    quickly separated. The female laid many eggs the next night, unlike I had expected almost all of them hatched!

Regards, Klaas

• ANZEIGE
  • Hi Klaas.

Is Actias isabellae the same specis as Saturnia pavonia, or why you pass mating-details of pavonia to an completely other specis?

I must say that I don´t know it really if it is important for these two specis above, how long the mating is. But I had short isabellae-matings and the resulting eggs were not so good fertilized, like the others which were undisturbed.
    And at many Sphingidae-specis it is very important, that the mating will be during the hole day and at other specis there are 1-3 hours enough.
    So I think it´s very important for a moth-breeder that he accept that the differnt specis have different demands.

By. :winken:
    Rudi

• Hi Klaas.

You´re right with saying in some specis of Saturniidae or other families the mating is very short or there is no need for a long mating to get fertil eggs.
    But, it´s my own experience, that it is false to suggest prompt from one specis to another, particular when it is an other genus. That´s my opinion to clear this, because many other in mothbreeding unwersed persons maybe read your information and will make a false conclusion.

That´s all. :thumbs_up:

By
    Rudi

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!