Papilio machoan

• ANZEIGE
  • Usually it shouldn't be dificult to hibernate pupae of Papilio machaon. Keep it cold an dry. Means keep it in a box you can close. Put the pupae on a ground of dry soil or better, keep it on the stems where it pupated an put those in the soil of the box so it still hangs on it. If they pupated on the walls of the box, leave them in the box and behave as told. Keep them f.e. in the Garage so they get a little frost in winter, but keep an eye on it in the real cold times. If temperatures get below 0 °C for a longer time it could cause a higher mortality. In this case you should bring them in a warmer room which is of temperatures between 0 °C and not more than 10 °C.

At last the question: which subspecies did you rear and what are you planning to do with the butterflies?

Best regards
    Klaas

• @Klaas Reißmann Great thanks a lot. So once they pupate put them in a plastic box with paper towel at the bottom and Make sure the temperatures don’t hit below 0*C would a light spray of water along with ventilation holes in the box to prevent over humidity.

I believe it’s gorganus. I would like to breed this species just for pleasure as sadly it wouldn’t survive in Scotland. This is a bit of a bizarre question but how difficult do you think it would be to introduce this species to Scotland.

Kind regards
    Connor

• Just for pleasure is ok. I wouldn't try to introduce it in Scotland. We're doing a lot of faults by transportating goods all over the world and are introducing so many species into other countries. In many cases it is doing more or less harm to the wilderness. It is better not to introduce this species into Scotland. We have a discussion in another thread about this. It is a pitty you don't speak German, because it would explain a lot about why not doing it.

Breed them just for fun. Try to get another Generation or mount the butterflies what ever seems to be best for you, but please don't try to introduce them. It is a species which nevver occurs in Scotland. At least I don't think they would survive in Scotland. As Dave wrote they tried in former times and gorganus disappeared within a short time. I guess Scotland is to cold and most of all to humid for this species. And gorganus is a continental ssp. which I guess needs more dry conditions than the british britannicus. Might be interresting if britannicus would find good conditions in Scotland, but I guess if it would be so, it would already occur in Scotland. As far as I know in the moment it is, difficult enough to obtain those Population and I do hope it works and britannicus will be a species in the UK für the next 1.000 years.

Best regards
    Klaas

• I think it would almost certainly fail as migrants from Europe colonised the coast of Sussex a few years back and layed eggs only for it to disappear the following year . . . .also it would be illegal to try it , but only if you're caught

yes as I can see from what Klaas and yourself stated it’s probably not a wise idea. Just a vision. Thank you for your help.

• Just for pleasure is ok. I wouldn't try to introduce it in Scotland. We're doing a lot of faults by transportating goods all over the world and are introducing so many species into other countries. In many cases it is doing more or less harm to the wilderness. It is better not to introduce this species into Scotland. We have a discussion in another thread about this. It is a pitty you don't speak German, because it would explain a lot about why not doing it.

Breed them just for fun. Try to get another Generation or mount the butterflies what ever seems to be best for you, but please don't try to introduce them. It is a species which nevver occurs in Scotland. At least I don't think they would survive in Scotland. As Dave wrote they tried in former times and gorganus disappeared within a short time. I guess Scotland is to cold and most of all to humid for this species. And gorganus is a continental ssp. which I guess needs more dry conditions than the british britannicus. Might be interresting if britannicus would find good conditions in Scotland, but I guess if it would be so, it would already occur in Scotland. As far as I know in the moment it is, difficult enough to obtain those Population and I do hope it works and britannicus will be a species in the UK für the next 1.000 years.

Best regards
    Klaas

it seems like trying to get some Britannicus would be a good idea though they are illegal to own to an extent, Ive only ever seen them on the market a few times in the uk but at quite a cost. We all have hopes and dreams. Thanks a lot

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!