Beginner, need advice

• Hello! I've had much interest in insects since childhood and when I found out that people were keeping bugs as "pets" I was very intrigued! I was informed of this forum on Ebay when I sent some questions to a moth seller.

I want to start breeding moths, I've had particular interest in these cuties! There's all sorts of species, but I'm curious about which ones would be the most beginner friendly as well as the easiest to get ahold of? I don't have a too big of a budget because I study and live at home. I know winter is coming soon but I'm not in too big of a rush, I can wait til spring or summer. I'm also looking for a moth that can be reared all seasons, plants shouldn't be a problem. I live in Norway where it gets pretty cold at winters, but I have a good heating source although it builds up a lot of humidity. If you can recommend me anything of books or guides would help a lot too! Thanks! :grinning_squinting_face::grinning_squinting_face:

• ANZEIGE
  • Hello Atahan,
    if amongst your favourites should be the Emperor Moths (Saturniidae), I can recommend Samia ricini. This beautiful moth is very easy to breed all year long, if you have Ligustrum ovalifolium or Prunus laurocerasus available (they accept many more plants mentioned, for example, in the book "A Guide to the Breeding of Tropical Silk Moths" by Frank Meister). And livestock is offered frquently in actias for very reasonable price.
    Enjoy it
    Thomas

• Hello Atahan,
    if amongst your favourites should be the Emperor Moths (Saturniidae), I can recommend Samia ricini. This beautiful moth is very easy to breed all year long, if you have Ligustrum ovalifolium or Prunus laurocerasus available (they accept many more plants mentioned, for example, in the book "A Guide to the Breeding of Tropical Silk Moths" by Frank Meister). And livestock is offered frquently in actias for very reasonable price.
    Enjoy it
    Thomas

Hello!
    Yes, I have access to the Ligustrum hedge, but they're sold in numbers for landscaping, I'll try to contact them and see if they would sell a couple individually. Thanks for the recommendations though, I'll see if I can get ahold of the book, I can't wait to get to start though, I'm very excited!

• Hi Atahan!! is very important know what food plants are in your zone and depending on the plants we can see which species you could breed. Species accepted as food by many moths are: Ligustrum ovalifolium, Nerium oleander, Ailanthus altissima, Robinia pseudoacacia, Syringa vulgaris, Prunus domestica and Liquidambar styraciflua

I know ligustrum is pretty common here, but I will research about the others. I live in south-eastern part of the country so the conditions here are way better than the freezing north. Thank you, Alejandro!

• If I understand it right, you want to buy some Ligustrum (make sure you have enough!). Then you have to be aware, that it possibly has benn treated with pesticides. So you better wait some time (I think 3 months?) before feeding it to your caterpillars. Otherwise your happy excitement might turn into pure disappointment.
    Thomas

How many of the host plants do I need? They sell all sorts of sizes of the ligustrum plant, I've heard they're fast growing but the caterpillars probably eat a tonne? I'll take the pesticides into consideration, I plan to start with the moths this spring/summer. But I don't know if I will be able to get the host plants this fall. Thanks for the information though! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

in this web you can check which plants can eat each spice HOSTS - The Hostplants and Caterpillars Database at the Natural History Museum . If you have any doubt with a plant, put a photograph and I tell you that it is

Oh, that sounds very useful! I will see if any of the other food plants are native! I'll send you photos if i have any doubts, thanks for the help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!