Puppenruhe bei Eupacardia caletta

• ANZEIGE
  • Your question depends entirely on where your livestock is from. Some material, like livestock from Texas and eastern Mexico consistently has two broods per year-- adults fly in spring and the second generation flies during the autumn. Arizona and western Mexico populations have one brood per year. However, western Arizona populations produce adults in autumn / winter. Adults of eastern Arizona populations fly during the summer time. (And in populations from the Baja California peninsula both sexes fly at night, whereas males from all USA populations are diurnal!)

It is true that Eupackardia calleta cocoons under captive conditions can take 2, 3 ... even sometimes longer to emerge as adults. Generally, this does not happen in habitat. This is because cocoons in captive culture do not experience the very high temperatures and dryness that is normal in nature. Then after several weeks or months of dry and often intense heat, temperatures actually decrease and humidity increases with the rainy season. This is probably what is necessary to stimulate a normal annual emergence.

Regards,

M

• Hi Michael,

thank You very much for this scientificall accurate description.You are probably closer to the natural habitat and know the conditions. 30 to 20 years ago I used to travel Arizona, Texas, Utha and other desert areas in the USA. I still remember the extreme heat throughout the day. One of my greenhouses is not well ventilated and gets extremely hot on sunny summer days. That schould be the right place to keep the cocoons.

Regards

Rony

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!