Permits for Lepidoptera

• https://insektenlifestyle.com
    AD
  • For hobbyist collecting, typically you don't need a permit except for a handful of specific states and of course National Parks and monuments.

Most species require permits if you are you transport or ship live across a state line.

Matthew is correct, stay out of parks, including state parks, regulated wildlife areas as well. BLM land, and National forest is

safe for collecting, Most of us don't run into any problems in the field, personally, I avoid people when possible out in the

field, and, it's not that difficult.

• Unlikely for a hobbyist, more than likely it's impossible. You can get permits for exotic beetles, but the regulations

sound strict, with requirements for enclosures and probable inspections.

If you work for a zoo or university, you might get a permit for butterflies, but I still think the process is a lot

of work, and would come with just as many regulations as it takes for beetles, I use Beetleforum.net, and this topic

has come up, and a number of people in the USA do raise exotic beetles here, but most of us see it as not worth the

trouble, it all depends on how determined you are.

• Hello everybody.

I find this topic very interesting, especially in view of the fact that I collected in Arizona in 2015 and plan to look for Lepidoptera in the USA again in the future.

We came across this PDF in preparation for our 2015 trip:https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/…7/usfs-letter-17liv3e.pdf

I would be interested in what you think of it and whether the issue of private collecting still applies?

What would also be interesting, with which organization or authority one could inquire, in which national forests there are restrictions for privat persons? Do you have a tip for me?

BLM land, and National forest is

safe for collecting,

What do you mean with "BLM Land" Kevin?

Best regards

Rudi

• Your partner for good dried lepidoptera at fair prices" alt="LEPIDOPEXCHANGE
    AD
  • They don't care about what you want, that's how. There are plenty of rules and regulations made by people

who have no clue what they're doing, or are influenced by a myriad of other "factors". That's just the way it is.

It's all done in your best interest, of course. It's what makes people consider doing things outside the rules.

Many hobbyists simply disregard the rules, there are still parameters that limit even the ability of those persons,,

with shipping times to consider, I've purchased diapaused stock safely, and if ova can be sent in a simple

envelope, it will usually arrive alive, but I've only had about 60 or 70% success doing that. It does pretty much

eliminate most tropical butterflies and sphinx from being sent overseas. There is expedited shipping, but i think

that would raise issues at customs. That's my opinion, and if there are people who do it with success, they're

probably not going to reveal sources and how they manage. I know breeders who get uncommon material here

in the states, and I have no Idea how they get it, it's a matter of sources and networking.

You can certainly apply for an import permit, but it may raise a red flag, or simply drag out until you give up.

• Right,

Many times at the park entrance of a State natural area, it will show the sign. Often it will show something like “COLLECTING AND HUNTING PROHIBITED.” or something like that. Also, places titled nature preserves will often have a no collection. However, I have had times were there are no signs in Wildlife areas and you can collect there. Obviously, parks like Yellow stone, Mount Rushmore and other parks which I’m assuming is listed in your link. Natural areas are different so you just have to use your better judgement.

• National Forest is probably the safest.

Arizona is interesting, as if you're collecting over a certain quantity you need a permit.

However, it's also important to note that usually collecting as a hobbiest is unrestricted. Except for National Parks/Refuges.

State parks are usually fine. Just check in with the ranger in advance to make sure there's nothing endangered to look out for.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!