Oily substance coming out of a mounted moth

• Hi!
    Just found out that a male from S. pavoniella that I mounted this spring, is starting to change.
    It seems that some sort of oily substance is coming out of the thorax and it's spreading over
    the wings, making the scales stick together which makes parts of the wings a bit shiny.
    What could be the cause??? Could it be a reaction to naphtalin or a change in humidity?
    The other specimens in the drawer are still fine, but I don't know for how long...
    I really hope someone can help me!

Regards, Klaas

• ANZEIGE
  • If you see another moth getting greasy, then break off the thorax before the liquid spreads to the wings. Then put the thorax into acetone. Let it dry again, take some glue and fix onto the moth again.

If you want to prevent this mishaps in future times, put your moths into to oven right after mounting. Heat the oven with some 70°Celsius (not more!) and let your specimes stay in there for 5 hours or so.

Yet another, even better method is to inject a special agent into the specimen that fixes the protein molecules. This must be done right after mounting the moth. However, the disadvantage of this method is that you will never be able to relax the moth again easily ( only with considerable difficulty). (However if you are sure that you never will have ro relax it again, this might be the best method)

This agent can be bought from "Fiebig-Lehrmittel", a company located in Germany. It's called CTS-Präparationsflüssigkeit. I'm sorry I don't know the exact chemical term. But I can try to find out, if you wish so.

Regards

• By the way, I forgot to mention that your moth should still be fixed with paperstripes on you stretching-frame/ mounting board when you put the moth inside the oven. Otherwise the wings will bend.

There´s yet another method to prevent your moths from greasing: Before you mount the moth, cut open the thorax on bottom side and excavate it. Then stow it with cotton or somethin similar. Which is not so easy however, and bears the danger of deforming the moth.

I don't think that all of your other moths will start to grease, too. Some will keep dry, some will grease. It depends on how thoroughly the moth dried when you mounted it. The problem is that a lot of moths appear to be fully dried from the outside but are still moisture inside.

• If you put them in the oven, you only accelerate the process of drying the moths. and the heat makes the proteine coagulate. In the same way as frying some eggs in a pan. Additionally, most ovens are fan-assisted, so that a lot of hot air is circulating in the oven, and circulating air dries the moth a lot better than calm air. The moth gets dehydrated. No moisture, no putrefaction.

Is Formol really that harmful to the moths? Didn`t know about that!

Regards

• ANZEIGE
  • Right, oil doesn't, but as fas as I can figure, the oil only comes into existence by putrefaction / rotting proteines inside the moth. The moths don't have that oil in them when they are still alive. Or am I mistaken? If the moth is dehydrated, desiccated and dry as dust, then nothing can rot away or start to putrefy and turn into oil or the like.

• Thanks a lot for the attention to the topic, I think the methods for degreasing are very interesting.

Right, oil doesn't, but as fas as I can figure, the oil only comes into existence by putrefaction / rotting proteines inside the moth. The moths don't have that oil in them when they are still alive. Or am I mistaken? If the moth is dehydrated, desiccated and dry as dust, then nothing can rot away or start to putrefy and turn into oil or the like.

Werner, I think the pupae of some Saturniidae species already contain many fatty acids that enable them to withstand very low temperatures during the winter. Rotting proteins won't produce oil, but I could imagine that such a process facilitates the diffusion of oil from the thorax/abdomen.

Regards, Klaas

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!