Holding males while waiting for female

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Marc Fischers World of Silkmoths

Silkmoths Logo

Finding new offers of eggs and cocoons/dolls of tropical butterflies. In addition, high-quality breeding and flight cases are available.

Cage
    • Holding males while waiting for female

During last 5 days six Automeris belti zaruma males (Ecuador) have eclosed. There are 4 male and 5 female pupae left and I am hoping for a copulation and eventual eggs. I presently have 3 live males under light while hoping for female soon. Which is best to hold live males while waiting for female: leaving under light at room temperature or placing in the refrigerator crisper. Which keeps males alive and healthy the best for a later successful copulation?
      Images
      • Automeris belti zaruma male 1.JPG

1.57 MB, 2,240×1,488, viewed 116 times
      Your partner for good dried lepidoptera at fair prices" alt="LEPIDOPEXCHANGE
    • When I tried placing moths in my refrigerator it seemed to permanently sap all the energy from them. Maybe I have it set to cold for there liking. Possibly a wine refrigerator at a higher temperature around 50 degrees or so would be better. It would be interesting to find out what the best temperature to keep moths inactive would be.
    • I have also tried the fridge, I would put a moth in an envelope, pop it in the refrigerator, and I think Michael's experience is similar to
      the times I've tried it.
      My guess would be for each respective species, the coldest a person might be able to keep them would be a cool night's temperature
      from wherever they're native.
      It would be an interesting study.
    • Good Morning.

I make a difference.

If I only need to keep animals for a short time, a few days, until I need to get the copula in the flight cage, I usually place them under steady light at temperatures around 15-17 ° C.
      They will be fed every 3 days, if it seems necessary.
      So they stay very vital.

If I need the imagos much later, I'll put them in a refrigerator set at 10 ° C. This brings their cycle completely on the back burner.
      But you have to be careful, especially in non-feeding species, that of course, the animals still "age" because they live on their fat reserves.

greeting
      Rudi
      Sphingiden - was sonst? 8o Sphingids - what else?