Actias Dubernardi-5 months in pupa

• ANZEIGE
  • Hardly a surprise to many of us that have raised this species, they hatch at sporadic intervals when I've

raised them, a number will hatch more or less at the same time, and the rest sit and wait for what ever

they're waiting for.

When I've had exotics that seem to refuse to hatch, I'll try wet and dry periods, but that can take months.

I've been sent pictures of the habitat by another breeder, and it's semi-tropical mountain terrain, I guess

Their emergence is some evolutionary strategy, or that as breeders in our respective locales, we're missing

something.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi there!

I had that sizuation too and after almost 6 Month ( November till now) the left two pupae died. I dont know why that happened. No flugtuations in temperature or humidity. That happened with Acherontia Atropos too. After almost 3 Month they died. Maybe Bacteria? But I did all at best hygienic standarts. Maybe it has to do with the crazy weather outside. Insects have an inner "clock" I think and if the weather is so instable like it is the last month and during the year this senses could be disturbed. That`s what I think about it. But it is absolutely possible that I made mistakes I did not realize yet.

Hopefully your Pupae will hatch soon and healthy!

Best wishes and regards

Carmen

• What I've found is the one predictable thing about insects, and things in general, is that they

are unpredictable.

Many Saturniidae will overwinter twice, I've had several species do so, just yesterday I had a lone

Hyalophora gloveri hatch from a 2019/2020 batch, it remained in the cocoon, while the others I'd

had hatched last spring. Saturnia pyri- same thing.

Argema mimosa, I had one of those stay in a cocoon over 18 months, the larger share of the batch

hatching a few weeks after receiving them. I'm probably forgetting some others-

Some individuals are different, explanations are difficult, when all conditions are identical, and some decide

to stay in the cocoon.

• ANZEIGE
  • Well, I mentioned it earlier, but dubernardi does this exact thing. I recently reared 21 larva, and they all spun up,

I kept track of the date I put each larva into 2 separate containers for spinning.

11 larva began spinning on dates from March 9th, to the 11th, the remaining ten, I had to use a separate

container for, and they spun on dates from March 11th, to the 15th.

The first moth from container 1 hatched on April 10th, with the next hatchings on the 11th,13th,14th(2) and the 18th.

From container 2, only 1 moth has hatched on April 14th.

So, in all, 7 moths have hatched from 2 containers with varying dates of them beginning spinning cocoons,

14 remain.

To make things even more fun, the 7 that have hatched, are all males.

This species is mind numbing. Only numbers and or luck allow the continuing breeding of this species,

the seller I bought the ova from, related similar experience, with only 15% of his moths hatching together,

and the remaining 85% still in cocoons, I don't know the amount of cocoons the seller is working with,

but it's probably more than 21.

When I had all my cocoons all nicely spun in the moss I provided them, I had a choice, sell some of them and let

what comes happen, and risk not having a mating pair, or sell none and have the best chance for breeding.

It's something to consider when buying livestock of this species, and some of the other exotic species, you need

luck and or numbers. The same seller indicated that out of 30 Argema mittrei cocoons he was only able to get a mating

from the last pair.

Nobody is going to prevent you from buying 4, or 6 cocoons of a species, but divulging the probability of

breeding with a small number is something different, and it takes record keeping to get figures on that

probability. I've learned this over time, and sometimes often only end up with specimens, not breeding

material, it's something I think about before buying exotic material. The frustrating thing, is having hatchings,

and not knowing if that moth is going to die a virgin, or have a chance at mating, I've got 6 tattered and dead

male Actias dubernardi now, which, while nice to look at for a few days, are worthless.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well I got 6 Argema Mittrei Cocoons and all 6 hatched. But no pairing. They hatched 3 together ane day and 3 together 2 days later. My Attacus Atlas are still in their cocoons alive only 2 Females hatched till now.

I agree with you all. They really have insticts that we cannot control or influence. Thats nature! We have to be patient and do our very best to nurse them well??my friends, all is experience. We learn a lot of all success and failure we have so lets take it as it is and let nature run her incredible programme. They will all hatch healthy I am sure!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!